Inspired by the eponymous heroine of Sunshine by Robin McKinley, here’s a moist, dense date tea bread that is perfect for any time of day. Looking for more recipes? Head over here!
Orange Date Tea Bread
- 2-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place dates in bowl, cover with the orange juice and let soak for approximately one hour.
- After soaking, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar until a crumb-like consistency. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with date mixture.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9×5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy your orange date tea bread with the spread of your choice!
Want to see all of book reviews? Follow me on Goodreads!