As Doctor Who opened on the second season of the new era, we see the newly regenerated Tenth Doctor and Rose Tyler arrive on the planet of New Earth. It turns out the grass of New Earth is Applegrass and smells, according to Rose, quite lovely.
It’s the city of New New York. Strictly speaking, it’s the fifteenth New York since the original. So that makes it New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York.Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who, 2006
Idon’t know if applegrass actually tastes lovely, but I’m choosing to believe it does. That belief led me to this recipe for Applegrass Slaw. I suggest you pair it with regular, classic Earth pulled pork. Or hot dogs. Or hamburgers. Whatever you like. It’s lovely and crisp with a sweet-tart flavor that will stand up to just about anything it accompanies.
Inspired by the natural features of New Earth, we have to make do without a TARDIS.
- 1/2 head Napa cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 granny smith apple, julienned
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- juice of half a lemon
- 1.5 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsps honey
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients, tossing well.
2. In a small bowl whish together the mayo and honey until smooth.
3. Add dressing mixture to other ingredients and toss thoroughly.
4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to mix before serving.
This is best served the same day, but will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.