Three-Way Fudge for the Work Folks

Oh my. I disappeared there for awhile, didn’t I? Terribly sorry about that. The fact of the matter is that my very busiest time at work is June – September. I love my job, but at the end of a crazy long day, cooking anything is a challenge to my brain and body. Writing something witty about the food was just not going to happen. Now, next summer might be different. I’ve now (almost) gotten through my first year in a new position. Maybe next year, as an old pro (ha!) I’ll be able to think clearly at the end of a work day. Don’t hold me to that, but I’ll try…

Now, just because my busy season is drawing to a close, that doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty of work to do! My job allows me to work from home about 95% of the time. The other 5%, I’m on the road to staff the events my company produces. I love being on event for many reasons, but my biggest reason is that it allows me to see my co-workers in person. My co-workers are so much more than co-workers. They are friends who have become family. They have demonstrated time and again that they have my back whenever I need it. Some of them have seen me at my very worst… there’s a hospital story involved there, but I’ll save that for another day. What I’m getting at, is that the people that I am privileged to work with are awesome humans and I count myself lucky to know each and every one of them. Being who I am, I tend to demonstrate my affection through food. So, as I prepare to fly to Seattle for 10 days of work, sweat, crazy hours, and laughing til I cry, I wanted to make something that I could take with me and share with those crazy kids.

The easy answer is candy. Most candy is fairly durable; a major requirement when it’s going in my suitcase for a 4.5 hour flight. It also keeps well, another requirement. And it’s delicious. I mean, it’s candy… I decided on an easy, yet pretty fudge recipe from one of Joanne Fluke’s novels. Three-Way Fudge appeared in Candy for Christmas, a novella featuring Hannah Swensen.

This is a “cheater” fudge. With only three ingredients and no need for a candy thermometer, it’s almost impossible to mess up. I say almost, because I can screw up anything, spectacularly. This lovely, three layer fudge, however, came out beautifully.

three way fudge

I made it as written and so there are three layers of lovely chocolate. You could add nuts to any or all of the layers to add a bit of crunch. You could also make a lovely Neapolitan fudge by making one layer chocolate, one white chocolate, and one strawberry. Once you have the basic method of this easy fudge down, you can do just about anything, really.

You can find the exact recipe in Joanne Fluke’s Lake Eden Cookbook. (This is an affiliate link.)

Tip: Use a very scant 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s