Today I’m revisiting an old favorite, Steel Magnolias (affiliate link-you know the drill.) I prefer the older version, but both are good. Watch the one you like best.
The menfolk don’t get a lot of screen time, but I still adore Tom Skerritt’s Drum. He’s sort of goofy, but when the chips are down he’s got his girls covered. And his boys. When Shelby and M’lynn are going to the hospital for surgery, Ouiser and Clairee are out buying food for the family. As Clairee loads can after can of pork and beans into the cart, Ouiser declares, “It’s just a gesture!” But, apparently, Drum loves pork and beans and eats them with everything.
This is not a fancy dish, not even close, but it’s easy, fast, and tasty. Sop up the sauce with some crusty bread. Or take it to a potluck. Drum would be so happy.
Drums Pork and Beans
- 1 large can of pork and beans
- 30 mini cocktail franks (leave whole or cut into bite size pieces)
- 3 strips thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 TBSP mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- In sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat, saute bacon, onions, and garlic until bacon is cooked and onions and garlic are soft.
- Stir in ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add pork and beans and cocktail franks.
- Bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer 10-15 minutes.